Thursday, March 15, 2007

All play and no work....

....makes me a bad blogger.

I'm taking the week off because Craig's spring break is a week earlier than the kids' spring break. Since they're still a couple years too young to stay home unaccompanied, I'm on SAHM patrol.

And I've learned something about myself. I'm much more effective when I'm on a schedule.

It's not news to me. When I'm busy, I get a lot done. Much more so than when I'm not busy. I get dinner on the table before 6 p.m., I keep up with my share of the housework (but Craig gets props in that area...he does more than I do). And I get my volunteer duties done, too. Plus blogging.

Yesterday was fun, however. We met a friend for coffee, then all the kids (hers are little: three and one) played at the park. The weather was perfect for such an outing. On the way home, we picked up Alex's best friend (who is moving to Denver in a few weeks - boo!) and he spent the night. I managed to get myself organized enough to make a tasty AND nutritious dinner (stuffed shells, zucchini, spinach, and garlic bread, and chocolate cake for dessert!).

Alex's friend is a really nice kid, and he's a great guest. He takes his dinner plate to the kitchen and puts it in the sink, and he regularly thanks me for dinner or whatever else. It's easy to invite him over since he's so easy to have around. This morning, I insisted that the kids clean up the playroom, and they did a great job. I have a feeling that the friend did more than his share. We'll really miss him. Especially since Alex doesn't have many close friends. (Although we're auditioning a new kid at church, and it seems to be going well. Wouldn't that make a great reality TV show? "Who wants to be Alex's new best friend?" I'll pitch it to Fox next week. Or not.)

Susie is spending much of her time at a neighbor's house. The family has two little kids (infant and two years old), and she likes playing with little kids. The mom almost hugged me when I asked her if she'd like Susie to come over and help with the kids. Little kids are so much work - I know I would have loved a neighbor girl to come hang out at my house when mine were that age. Susie still has a couple years before she can "officially" babysit, but this is good experience for when she's ready. Given that we're the senior citizens in our neighborhood, she'll likely have lots of customers once she's the right age.

So today? I'm watching Alex play "The Sims" and later we'll all go out and do something as a family. Later I have a meeting with my small group from church. So at least it's sort of a schedule.

Oh, and I did vacuum.

No comments: