Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I need a pajama night!

Y'know what? All this meetings and rehearsals and concerts in the evening thing? Has a result: I miss my kids. Even on the weekend, when we should have loads of time together, we've all been busy.

One of my favorite memories of 2006 is New Year's Day. We had had a few people over the night before and three of them spent the night (because home was a 45-minute drive and I don't like the thought of my friends being in car accidents). So we got up in the morning and I made breakfast (yay for chorizo sausage!) and they went on their way. I hadn't changed out of my pajamas at that point, and I didn't all day. The kids drifted downstairs (also in jammies) and we snuggled on the couch under blankets and drank cocoa and ate comfort food and watched "Mythbusters" on TV for hours and hours.

The Husband, in general, does not favor "Pajama Day" as a family activity, arguing that it's not an activity, just wearing pajamas. I, however, find that "Pajama Time" (whether just an evening or an entire day) is very much a family activity. When the kids and I haven't had time in the week to really connect (which, for my daughter, entails rubbing my arm a lot while snuggling....for The Boy, it's just the snuggling...he never took on the arm rubbing as a pastime), we look forward to Pajama Time. Because we know that means we'll stop rushing around and just be together. Sure, we may watch television or movies, but we may be in the kitchen making something sweet and cheesy and comforting. Or we may play with the dogs. But the important part? We're together and that's what we're focused on.

And I've eyeballed my calendar. It appears that tonight and next Thursday are the two opportunities for pajama time. (And next Thursday? When I'm packing? To go to Michigan? My kids are much more likely to be victims of child abuse than to bask in the family glow that is Pajama Night.) (Not that I'd ever really abuse them, but the possibility of pajama time when packing is, well, not.)

So guess what I'm wearing tonight?

No comments: