Thursday, July 26, 2007

Perfunctory Pre-BlogHer Post

My poor blog has been neglected for several days. Honestly, weeks. I've been swamped at work and have been devoting more time to my physical self, leaving less time to write.


But there's another reason. I don't really have much to say these days.


Which is terrifying, really. I'm leaving, late tonight, for Chicago to attend a conference of women bloggers. Hopefully some of the bloggers I meet will stop by and read my musings. That awareness of audience (beyond my mom, my best friend, my brother, and a few other folks), however, has been crippling.


I've started at least five posts this week, only to delete them and walk away from the computer. This pressure to perform, it's horrible.


And totally self-inflicted.

But it's also telling. I have never fully embraced the title "mommy blogger," primarily because my children are older than the "typical" mommy blogger's children. But with the children out of my house for three weeks, it's apparent that I am, indeed, a mommy blogger. Because without them, I seem to have nothing to say.



And back to the actual event of BlogHer...I'm excited but more than a little apprehensive. So many women are arriving in Chicago today and will spend this evening together, bonding, having fun, creating and deepening relationships. I arrive Friday morning. I'm a bit worried that everyone will already have their bonding completed (and their hangovers well-earned), and I'll wander around being the odd girl out. If you're reading this and you're going to be there, please don't let that happen. I know quite a few of us bloggers have some level of social anxiety (hence, we blog), and I'm probably stewing over nothing. I promise I'll be lots of fun and you'll be glad you were nice to me. Plus, I'll be wearing the awesomest shirt ever in the history of shirts.

So, if you're a new reader, welcome. I hope you like it here. Leave me a comment so I can visit you, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to blogher, but if you feel totally left out and want to hang with someone with old kids, send me a note. I'm only an hour from Chicago and would love to hang with you and help you catch up with the others on the drinking schedule. HAVE FUN!!!!

Karen said...

I'm not going to blogher either, but am in Chicago and we are one fine, beautiful city!! You will love it here, no matter what happens at the convention!!
Have a great time - enjoy! And you'll have many things to blog when you return!
Lara

Anonymous said...

I met you at BlogHer, and here I am at your blog via your blog-card! I've read only this post so far, but curious how old your children are, since you said they are older than the children of most "mommy bloggers." Mine too. I don't think I fall into the mommy blogger category. If I did, I wouldn't have to give away 99% of the swag from BlogHer!

Anonymous said...

酒店 ,酒店小姐 ,酒店經紀 ,酒店兼職,酒店小姐, 酒店上班,酒店喝酒